A sprinkler system helped Brick City Southern Kitchen & Whiskey Bar avoid disaster this week when a grease fire broke out.
Reports of a structural fire around 7:20 a.m. Wednesday brought Engines 1, 3, and 5, Tower 1, and Battalion Chief 22 from Ocala Fire Rescue to the restaurant at 10 S Magnolia Avenue in Ocala .
When crews arrived, they were informed that the fire was at the back of the restaurant inside the smoking room.
Firefighters went to the back of the building and spotted flames coming from the smoker. An active sprinkler prevented the flamethrowers from spreading.
Crews used a water canister to extinguish the fire.
Captain Anthony Ortiz said: “The fire started as a result of grease buildup in the cooking equipment. The sprinkler system controlled the fire back to the area of origin until firefighters arrived to smother the residual flames and eliminate the potential spread of the fire.
The Ocala Police Department also responded.
No injuries were reported.
The fire only caused a slight delay at the restaurant. Shortly after the flames were extinguished, the restaurant announced on Facebook that it would open at 4 p.m. instead of 11 a.m.
“Thank you for your patience and understanding! We will miss you for lunch, but we will meet again for dinner,” the restaurant said in the post.